Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Knight Costume - Part 2


Last year, I made Joshie a templar knight costume.  It was a little too big last year but it fits perfectly now.  He agreed to wear it again since none of the kids at his new school have seen it yet.  I was starting to get worried that I'd be making something last minute.

We put on his costume and practiced trick-or-treating over on main street.  It was cold and so most of his costume was hidden under a bulky jacket and gloves.  Then I realized, he needs a cape/cloak!!!

So I made him a cape which took no more than 30 min and we are now set.  Maybe it'll rain again this year, or maybe it'll snow.  Either way, he'll look like he's wearing a costume.

Here's a side by side.  I used some old fabric that I had in my stash that was originally intended for me.


My model was at school so the mannequin had to stand in.


Here's how I did it.

First I folded my fabric in half.  If I made the cape shorter, then I would have cut it out (like in pic 1) and continued on.  However, my fabric wasn't long enough so I had to join some more fabric to complete the arc (pic 2)


This is what the joined fabric looked like.  


After I cut out the arcs, the rest was just finishing touches.

I did a rolled hem with my serger around the entire cape (except for the neckline).


Then I used some bias tape to bind up the neckline


Easy peasy!  Maybe I need one too...

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting. led stickman costume

    ReplyDelete